WORLD AIDS DAY 2020
Global solidarity, shared responsibility
Smt. K. K. Shailaja Teacher
Dr. Rajan N. Khobragade I A S
Dr. Ramesh R
The Kerala State AIDS Control Society (KSACS), plays a pivotal role in the state’s strategy in combating the HIV/AIDS epidemic. It is an autonomous society registered under the Charitable Societies Act, with its members drawn from all key government departments to ensure greater flexibility and more effective programme management. Its work is supervised by a Governing body, chaired by the Chief Secretary of the state, and which includes as members Secretaries of various government departments like Health, Social Welfare, Finance, Education, and Project Director of KSACS, Director of Health Services, Director of Medical Education, State Drugs Controller and Inspector General of Police (Law & Order)...
KSACS was formed to implement the National AIDS Control Programme (NACP) in the state. It works under the National AIDS Control Organisation (NACO) which is a part of the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare of the Government of India. The National AIDS Control Programme is fully funded by the Government of India and by international donors such as the World Bank, the Global Fund for AIDS, TB and Malaria, DFID (Department for International Development, UK) and USAID (the US Agency for International development) and others.
- Media must inform and educate the people, not alarm or scare them
- Be objective, factual and sensitive
- Keep abreast with changing realities of fast-evolving infection
- Use appropriate language and terminology that is non-stigmatising
- Ensure headlines are accurate and balanced
- Be responsible, give all sides of the picture, using voices of people with HIV and AIDS(PLHNS)
- Dispel misconceptions about prevention and transmission
- Highlight positive stories without underplaying seriousness of the issue
The Kerala State AIDS Control Society (KSACS), plays a pivotal role in the state’s strategy in combating the HIV/AIDS epidemic. It is an autonomous society registered under the Charitable Societies Act.